Skip to content
- Term punctuality generally refers to Mail/Exp trains rather than Goods trains.
- Mail/Exp trains have scheduled timings. In addition, cushion timings are given as allowances.
- In spite of that, some Mail/Exp trains arrive/depart late at stations. Why?
Reasons for the loss of punctuality :
- Late arrival of connecting rake
- Late arrival of train loco
- Late reporting of train crew
- Enroute shunting- Attaching/Detaching of slop coaches, VPUs, ICs and loco change
- Natural calamities-Heavy rain, cyclone, etc.
- Sabotage by anti-social elements Public agitations
- ACP by traveling public
- Commercial- parcel loading/unloading
- Carriage watering and CTS (Clean Train Station)
- Assets failures/Equipment failures
- Accounts for 75% of loss of punctuality
- Creates unsafe condition for trains
- Capable of causing accidents
- Broadly classified as Engineering failures, S&T failures, C&W failures, Loco failures, Electrical failures (TRD & G) and human failures.
- Point failures—Housing problem-point motor not working
- Signal failure- will cause block instrument failure also
- Block instrument failure-will cause signal failure also
- IBS failure- Entire section BI working will be suspended
- Axis counter failure-will cause block instrument failure
- Track circuit failure-will cause signal failure and BI failure
- Panel failure-will lead to total failure in a station
- Communication failure- Normal BI working will be affected- may cause total interruption of communication also
- Disconnection of gears due to problem- Normal working will be affected
- failures- the Wrong operation of BI/ Signals knobs will lead to signal and BI failures
- Loco Failures:
- AC loco failure- will cause dislocation of train services in a section
- Diesel loco failure- will cause dislocation of train services in a section
- OHE Snapping- cause dislocation of train services
- OHE Equipment failures- cause dislocation to train services
- Bursting of power block-delay to trains
- OHE supply failure-cause dislocation of train services
- Electrical failures in coaches- delay to trains
- AC failures in coaches-delay to trains
- Power supply failure at stations-cause signal and panel failures
- Human resource is a big asset of Railways
- Failure of this element- late clearance of signals-wrong operation of S&T gears- sleeping on duty putting trains at signals- lack of knowledge in rules- inadequate training in a particular field- improper maintenance –lack of supervision-poor quality of inspection-cause delay to trains.