DEFINITION [IRCM 103(30)]:
Goods of a passenger either carried by him in his charge or entrusted to the railway administration for carriage in the brake van.
Procedure for booking:
- Luggage should be booked only on the authority of a ticket or pass.
- Luggage must be booked at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
- Luggage may be booked up to 30 days in advance of the date of journey.
- It may be carried either by the passenger in his charge as ICP (In-charge of the passenger) or may be booked in-charge of Guard for carriage in the Brake-Van.
- Any fraction of weight will be rounded off to the next higher multiple of 10 kg.
- Minimum weight for charge – 10 kg.
- Minimum distance of charge – 50 km
- Minimum freight charge – Rs. 30/-
- Prepayment of freight is compulsory
- Luggage will be charged under Scale “L”.
ARTICLES NOT TO BE ACCEPTED AS LUGGAGE:
- Offensive articles (wet skin etc.)
- Dangerous goods (Explosives, Inflammable articles, Acids & other corrosives)
- Oil, grease, ghee, paint etc. (if carried in packages which might by contact, breakage or leakage, damage other articles)
- Dry grass/leaves & waste paper
Dead poultry and game
EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE LIST:
- Skins of wild animals securely packed in airtight boxes at Owner’s Risk.
Safety based cinema films
- Empty gas cylinders can be accepted in brake van only
- Oxygen cylinders for patients with a medical certificate may be allowed as ICP in 1A, 2A and FC Classes and free allowance is granted
- Safety cartridges with ICP
- Ghee up to 20 kg. per passenger as ICP.
- One Musical Instrument, One Portable Television set, and one Baby Tricycle, per passenger, is allowed as ICP and free allowance can be given.
- Laptop computers may be carried as ICP within LFA but Tabletop computers in charge of the passenger without LFA and the UPS & Keyboard be kept in a suitcase.
- Invalid chairs of Orthopaedically handicapped persons can be carried ‘Free’ as ICP (if collapsible) or in Brake Van, on the production of a certificate from a Govt. doctor.
LUGGAGE FREE ALLOWANCE:
- Passengers are permitted to carry a certain quantity of luggage free of charge according to the class of travel. This is called ‘Free Allowance’.
- The free allowance of luggage permitted on each class of ticket per adult is as follows,General Public Free Allowance (in kg.)
- 1A 70
- 2A 50
- FC 50
- CC 40
- 3A 40
- SL 40
- 2S 35
- I Class 15
- II Class 10
- Market Vendor: Outward Journey 60
Return Journey 25
- Military Warrants (Any Class) 40
PASS HOLDERS :
- Metal Pass 140
- I ‘A’ Pass 140
- I Class Pass 70
- II Class Pass 50
- For child tickets, half the quantity is allowed.
- For combined class tickets, the free allowance will be as for the higher class.
- Maximum dimensions of a package allowed, as ICP is 100 x 60 x 25 cm.
All articles taken as ICP are carried at the entire risk of the owners.
- No Luggage free Allowance will be given for luggage carried in BV.
- There is no restriction on booking of personal luggage or merchandise luggage by any train. However, luggage in owner charge in the passenger compartment beyond the prescribed free allowance shall be charged at 1.5 times of the luggage rate.
MARGINAL ALLOWANCE: (CTM – 515):
- It is the measure prescribed, to determine whether the unbooked
- luggage is to be charged at 1.5 times ‘L’ scale or six times the ‘L’
- The marginal allowance is fixed according to the class of travel as follows:
Class Marginal Allowance (in kg.)
- 1A= 15
- 2A= 10
- FC =10
- 3A =10
- CC =10
- SL =10
- 2S= 10
- I Class= 5
- II Class= 5
- Market Vendor= Nil
When the total luggage is found to be more than the free allowance, but within the marginal allowance, the weight exceeding free allowance shall be charged at 1.5 times ‘L’ rate subject to a minimum of Rs. 30/-.
When the total luggage is found to be more than the free allowance and marginal allowance, the weight exceeding free allowance shall be charged at six times the ‘L’ rate subject to a minimum of Rs. 50/-. The quantum of Maximum ICP is as follows:
Class Maximum ICP (Kg.)
- 2A =100
- FC= 100
- 3A= 40
- CC= 40
- SL= 80
- 2S= 70
COMMODITIES CHARGEABLE UNDER DIFFERENT SCALES:
All types of commodities excluding Luggage will be charged uniformly under three different Scales, depending on the type of service (w.e.f. 01.04.2006):
* The Zonal Railways will notify such trains for Up & Down Directions of the trains separately.*
ARTICLES NOT WEIGHED:
II / SL class Passengers Other class passengers
- Walking stick
- Food items for the journey
- Walking stick,
- Food items including small icebox & a vanity bag for ladies and an attaché case for men.
CONDITIONS FOR CARRIAGE IN BRAKE VAN:
- Maximum weight allowed for a passenger to carry as luggage is 150 kg in addition to a bicycle or a two-wheeler.
- No Luggage Free Allowance for articles taken in the Brake Van.
- Maximum dimensions permitted are 200 cm x 150 cm x 125 cm. (for BG & MG).
- All conditions for acceptance regarding Packing, marking and Labelling will apply as for the Parcel traffic.
Note : Luggage more than 150 kg may be accepted on the condition that it would be carried by any convenient train.
BOOKING AND CARRIAGE OF FINELY CARVED STATUES IN DIFFERENT STONES AS LUGGAGE:
- It is allowed as ICP.
- No free allowance is given.
- The size of the article should not exceed 26 x 15 x 12 inches.
- Maximum permissible weight should be 50 kgs.
PERMISSION TO DEFENCE COURIERS FOR BOOKINGS AND CARRIAGE OF CLASSIFIED LUGGAGE:
- Defence couriers are permitted for booking and carriage of classified luggage
It is allowed in 1A.
- In 2 berth coupe maximum limit is 140 kg and in four berths compartment 280 kg.
- A package in excess of 70 kgs will be charged at normal tariff rate and allowed to be carried in the compartment.
- Certification to this effect that they contain classified document should be obtained.
- A package should not exceed 100 kgs. in weight and 100 x 100 70 cms in outside measurement. (bulky article is not allowed)