- The knee or leg bones look deformed.
- The person can’t bear weight on the leg.
- The pain is extreme.
- There is immediate swelling, tingling, or numbness below the knee.
- Use the RICE method
- Rest the knee.
- Ice the area.
- Compress with a wrap or elastic sleeve.
- Elevate the knee as much as possible.
- For pain, give painkillers.
When to Call a Doctor:
Make an appointment with a doctor if you still have pain after two weeks of home treatment, if the knee becomes warm, or if you have the fever along with a painful, swollen knee.
If you seek medical help, the doctor will examine the knee and may do X-rays or other methods of imaging. Medical treatments may include anti-inflammatory drugs, draining fluid, physical therapy, crutches or braces, or surgery.