ELEVEN DIGIT WAGON NUMBERING SYSTEM:
Indian Railways have adopted new numbering system for wagons to facilitate computerization.
- First two digits indicate the type of wagon
- Next two digits represent the owning railway
- Fifth and sixth digit indicates the year built of the wagon
- Next four digits is the serial number of the wagon
- The last digit is the check digit.
Calculation of the check digit:
- Add all the numbers in even position multiply the answer with 3
- Add all the numbers in odd position
- Add both the values of A and B.
- The number required to round the value of C to next round of 10 is the check digit
Wagon Type and their Codes:
In new 11 digit wagon numbering system, the first and second digits indicate the type of wagons which are given below.
OPEN WAGON 10-29:
COVERED WAGONS 30-39:
TANK WAGONS 40-54:
FLAT WAGONS 55-69:
HOPPER WAGONS 70-79:
WELL WAGONS 80-84:
BRAKE VAN 85-89:
- BVZC 85
- BVZI 86