The crossing is a device provided at the intersection of two running rails to permit the wheel flanges, moving along one to pass across the other.
Component Parts of a Crossing:
- A Vee piece
- A point rail
- A splice rail
- Two check rails
- Two wing rails
- Heel blocks at throat, nose, and heel of crossing
- Chairs at crossing, at toe and at heel
REQUIREMENTS OF IDEAL CROSSING:
- Crossing assembly should be rigid enough to withstand severe vibrations.
- Wing rails and nose crossing should be able to resist heavy wear due to movement of wheels, hence should be manufactured of special steel(alloy steel)
- The nose of crossing should have adequate thickness to take all stresses acting on the crossing.