Bull Headed Rails:
The rail section whose head dimensions are more than that of their foot is called bullheaded rails. In this type of rail, the head is made little thicker and stronger than the lower part by adding more metal to it. This rail s also require chairs for holding them in position. Bullheaded rails are especially used for making points and crossings.
- B.H. Rails keep better alignment and provide smoother and stronger track.
- These rails provide longer life to wooden sleepers and hence renewal of track is easy.
- These rails are easily removed from sleepers and hence renewal of track is easy.
- B.H.rails requires additional cost of iron chairs.
- These rails require heavy maintenance cost.
- B.H. rails are of less strength and stiffness.