Skip to content
Treating a Bruise at Home
Reduce Bruising and Swelling:
- Ice the area on and off for the first 24-48 hours.
- Apply ice for about 15 minutes at a time, and always put something like a towel or washcloth between the ice and your skin.
- Rest the affected area.
- If possible, elevate the affected area.
- For pain, take painkillers
- When to Call a Doctor
- If bruise is accompanied by extreme pain, swelling or redness
- If the person is taking a blood-thinning medication
- If bruises appear on skin for no apparent reason
- The bruise in on the face or head
- You can’t move a joint
- You may have a broken bone
- Two days after a bruise develops, apply a heat pack or washcloth soaked in warm water to the area several times a day to promote healing.
- Pain and tenderness should get better within a few days and the bruise should go away within a couple of weeks