Symptoms of a broken toe include
- difficulty walking.
Prevent Swelling and Further Injury:
- Stay off the foot as much as possible.
- Avoid movement or pressure that causes pain.
- Apply ice up to 20 minutes at a time. Wrap it in a towel; do not apply directly to skin.
- Keep the foot elevated as often as possible, especially the first 2 days after injury, to help control pain and swelling.
If you have severe pain, can’t walk, the toe looks bent or deformed, or the pain lasts for a long time, see a doctor.
- Stay off your foot and avoid activity that causes pain for 3-4 weeks.
- Wear a shoe with a stiff sole to protect the injured toe and keep it stable. Avoid shoes that put pressure on the toe.