- You think a thighbone is broken.
- A bone has punctured the skin.
For other breaks:
Reduce Swelling and Avoid Further Injury:
- Keep the injured leg as still as possible. Do not let the person bear any weight on the leg.
- Apply ice.
- Keep the leg raised with pillows or cushions.
Seek Medical Care Immediately:
Take the person to see a health care provider. If you think a thighbone is broken or you are unable to move the person, call 911 and have the person taken to the hospital.
- Treatment will depend on the nature of the injury.
- A health care provider will examine the person’s leg and likely do an X-ray.
- The bone may be realigned and a splint, cast, or brace put on.
- Surgery may be needed.